Albany, Georgia 31701
- Phone 1:
The Carnegie Library, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, first opened its doors on April 11, 1906. The building served as the main library until 1966. From 1966 until 1985, it became a business branch, serving the needs of the central business district. Following the nearby renovation of the Ford Motor Company building as the new main library in 1985, the Carnegie Library closed and remained closed until 1992. On September 21, 1992, a the ribbon cutting ceremony was held for the administrative offices of the Albany Area Arts Council. In 1993, the Carnegie Library Building was presented The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation Award for Outstanding Adaptive-Use Rehabilitation.