Athens, Georgia 30602
- Phone 1:
The Founders Memorial Garden commemorates the 12 founders of the first American Garden Club, the Ladies Garden Club of Athens, which was founded in 1891. With funds raised by the Garden Club of Georgia, Dean Hubert B. Owens, his staff, and students of the Landscape Architecture Department designed the garden. The layout of the 2.5-acre series of gardens, the grounds of the former Headquarters House for the Garden Club of Georgia, consists of a formal boxwood garden, two courtyards, a terrace, and a perennial garden as well as two informal areas. The rose-brick, Greek Revival style house was built in 1857. The house and garden are on the National Register of Historic Places as well as the Georgia Register of Historic Places.