Downtown on U.S.Hwy 129
Jefferson, Georgia 30549
- Phone 1:
The first county courthouse, a log and wooden frame building with an attached jail, was built on south side of the public square; a second, larger, two-story brick courthouse with a separate jailhouse was built in 1817. In 1880, a third was built on a hill north of the square.
This courthouse was the oldest continuously operating courthouse in the United States until 2004, when the new and current courthouse was constructed north of Jefferson.